250g of flour
100g of corn starch
75g of butter
70g of sugar
1 Teaspoon of salt
3 Tablespoons of fresh orange or lemon zest
1/4 cup of coconut milk ( as needed) to make a soft but not sticky dough
1. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, cornstarch and baking powder.
2. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and add to dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk and orange or lemon zest.
4. Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour egg-milk mixture in. Mix with a fork and then knead with your hands for about 3-4 to get a dough that is not too firm or too sticky.
5. Roll out dough to 1 ⁄ 4 inch thick, using a small amount of flour if you need to keep it from sticking.
6. Cut dough into 2 inch squares. Cut each square diagonally to form a triangle. With your finger, poke a small hole in the center of the triangle and pull one of the corners through the hole gently. If you are having trouble with this method, try chilling your dough for about half an hour, until it becomes firmer. You can do this after the triangles are cut, just transfer them to a cookie sheet and refrigerate.
7. Bring your oil to 475 degree Fahrenheit and fry your “Noupough Peuhl” until golden brown.